Sunday, February 28, 2016

One More Time!

On Monday I will begin my favorite time of the year! I just hope I can sleep tonight. I will take my class on a journey that I hope and pray lasts a lifetime. I have no doubt they will teach me many things as well. In the next month 15 kids will learn about how to be a friend to someone with a disability. They will embrace the experience with questions, excitement, inclusiveness, passion, and sacrifice. 

Over the years so far, the Bridge Class has raised $12,000 to refurbish and distribute wheelchairs for "Wheels For the World." On Friday my students were already dreaming about ways to raise money for children that need wheelchairs, all the way from making refreshments to emptying out their piggy banks.  It is hard for me to hear about such deep sacrifice from kids, but I know how worth it the sacrifice is.  The kids will grow so much in their perceptions of themselves as well as those around them.  

It is bitter sweet that this is the last time I will do this, at least in my classroom.  The butterfly will have a special meaning for me from here on out because it will remind me of the butterfly effect of kids helping kids.  Here we go... one more time!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe we should bring Katie's Snack Cart in for the kids at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete