Friday, September 21, 2012

     Throughout my life, and especially in the last 15 years, the friends I have known with disabilities were born with them.  I have been with friends when they were given diagnoses for their children that would change the course of their lives forever, both the child and the parents.  The parents had to adjust to the fact that their child's struggles would be visible from the start and their lives were going to look differently than they had planned.  I have watched parents grieve as their child would never reach the milestone their peers just did.  I have watched them cry as they worry about their child's future.  The path they are on is a different path than they would have chosen, but there are many beautiful experiences along the way, even though it is different.
     Tonight my heart is heavy for the people who have challenges come their way later in life.  They have lived their lives a certain way until it is suddenly interrupted and forever changed either through a debilitating disease, accident or some other cause.  I have watched firsthand the challenges that can occur and my heart goes out to them.
     What hits me the most is that you never know what some one's story is.  When you see someone in a wheelchair or missing limbs or unable  to speak, they have a story.  Most of us have been taught not to stare and consequently, we don't even take the time to get to know someone with a disability.  
     The other day a parent of one of my former students shared with me that her daughter saw a little boy in a wheelchair and she looked up at her mom and said, "Mom, he has a cool wheelchair!"  Isn't that awesome?  I love the way kids think :)
     I remember quite a few years ago I had a hard time understanding mental illness and was afraid of it until I met someone that would change my life.  He was a young man with schizophrenia.  At first, I didn't even think about what his story might be, but God kept him in my life until I did.  I loved hearing about his childhood, his knowledge, his gifts, and his insecurities.  My life has been changed from having met him and hearing his story.
     My challenge this week is to meet someone new with a disability and hear their story.  I will let you know what happens...

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up with some long over due blog reading....I love your challenge and your words have encouraged me to take a second look and the time to listen. Thank you friend!

    ReplyDelete