Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Mar-gin

Bill and I have been preparing for a talk, "Grace...Margin...Without."  The name of our ministry is "Grace Without Margins" but what do each of those words mean?  As Bill prepares his explanation of 
grace, I am preparing my explanation of margins and how it would be to not have margins in our society.

Have you ever thought about who lives in the margins of our society?  I suppose on one level we all
have at one time or another.  Maybe we felt we didn't fit into the mainstream of society because of our appearance, our intellect, or our financial status.  Living in the margins of a group can be a very lonely place.

I have been reading a variety of books over the last couple of weeks and my understanding of the margins has grown.  I have often thought of the poor and disabled living in the margins but it had not occurred to me that the illiterate and the physically or sexually abused can also be in the margins.

This week when you go to church or school or a social event, look and see who is in the margins of your gathering.  Drawing someone out of the margins may completely turn their day around and give you the opportunity for a new friendship.

1 comment: