Wednesday, April 20, 2016

God offers me the opportunity to watch a beautiful sunrise or sunset every single day and then one day He says, "Come with me and let me show you something else that is beautiful."  I have learned over the years to not miss it, to trust Him, and I am trying to learn not to underestimate Him.  

Nine years ago I felt God tugging at my heart to share my passion for people affected by a disability with my students.  My understanding of what God wanted was so small then.  For four years we raised enough money to refurbish one wheelchair.

Then I was introduced to one of my now favorite writers, Andy Andrews and I read his books, The Boy Who Changed the World and The Butterfly Effect.  In the middle of the night, God revealed to me that I needed to help parents understand how to be a friend to someone with a disability and to understand the benefits of letting their children sacrifice and work hard for our fund-raiser.  I needed to hang up a butterfly for every single dollar the kids raised so they could understand the impact.

At the same time God gave one of my parents and best friends, Marti Smith, a vision.  She came up with having a "Market Day" to raise money for the wheelchairs and to have the kids make and sell crafts and snacks.  That year the class raised over $3,000 and every class since then has raised around $3,000.

Another four years have passed and the kids have raised over $15,000!  To think that 135 five year-old children can do that is unbelievable but with God there are no limits.  That was amazing enough but God also let over 180 actual wheelchairs be collected this year.  I feel like God grabbed my hand and took me to the top of a mountain and said, "I want you to see things from my point of you.  This is what I can do!"

My point in sharing all of this is to give God all of the glory for the things He has done.  All we have to do is say, "YES," and then watch God.  The hard thing is I know I will doubt Him again, but I am really trying not to.  It is so hard to imagine the things God can do!  Ephesians 3:20 says, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us."

I want to close with a beautiful story that God allowed me to watch.  I hope it inspires you to take the journey God has placed on your heart.  Here is the link:

http://keyetv.com/news/local/cool-at-school-first-foundations-preschool-students-raise-money-to-repair-wheelchairs




No comments:

Post a Comment