Thursday, November 17, 2016

One Messy Room With No Compartments


Today I am returning e-mails, blogging, preparing a presentation, and proofing a manuscript. Of course just outside my office the dishes, the laundry, the toilets, and the errands are calling my name, desperately wanting my attention.

Most mornings I start my day with a cup of tea, look over my planner to see what I have going on for the day, and then I make my "To Do" list.  One particular task has been bumped to the next day for weeks now...cleaning my office.

I haven't decided whether I will post a picture of my office or not.  I have a lot of pride when it comes to people seeing the messy part of me.  Sometimes I fantasize about having an office that looks like one you would see in a model home but I love everything in here and well, that makes it messy.

On my bookshelves you can see the history of my life.  There are books from every stage:  children's books, Bibles I used from youth until now, Bible studies with all of my thoughts and responses, books God has asked me to write, and photo albums containing all of my memories.  I also have an entire shelf full of journals I have filled over the years.

On the walls of my office I of course have words that make me happy, certificates that make me feel like I am getting somewhere, copies of checks that help me remember, letters from friends that challenge me, pictures from kids that inspire me, and a collage of calendars and maps that keep me organized.  Leaning against the wall are projects I am currently working on.  In front of me is a long line of pictures of my grandkids because they are the joy in my life.  And lastly, in the corner of my desk is a jar with a butterfly in it.  It is a continual reminder to me that with God as our guide, we can all help change the world and the "Butterfly Effect" will be amazing.

Well, it is time to face those things that are calling my name.  For a moment I thought I would clean this room up today and clear some things out.  I think it may just have to stay the way it is, however.  It is similar to my mind...one big room full of ideas, inspirations and "want to's"...with no compartments.

No comments:

Post a Comment