Monday, January 21, 2019

Teaching Children About The Dream

Last week I have the privilege of visiting a friend's 3rd grade classroom to speak on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  I hope to have the opportunity to honor him every year, especially as the children get farther away in history from the incredible impact he made.

I find history and people fascinating.  I loved sharing the power of history if we touch both the generations before us and those after us.  If I join hands with the children and tell them my stories they can touch history all the way back to the early 1960's.  When I share the stories of my parents, we can go back to the 1930's and if I tell them about my great-grandfather that I knew and loved, they can link to history from the late 1800's. 

The prejudice and cruelty of the 60's is not so long ago.  I can reach back and touch it.  I vaguely remember separate water fountains and restrooms but I vividly remember the rioting I witnessed in Washington, DC.  I remember the pressure to not talk to blacks when I was in school.  I remember the meetings that were held in our neighborhood trying to force our family out because we let people of all races into our home.  I remember participating in the March on Washington and seeing my dad weep the day Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr was shot.

I am grateful for the changes I have seen in my lifetime.  They are huge.  There aren't separate restrooms and water fountains.  People have the right to vote.  They have the right to an education and great opportunities of employment.  We need to celebrate the advancements that have happened due to Dr. King's sacrifice and the sacrifices of many others.  

However, we still have a long way to go!  Our children and grandchildren need to know the pain of the past and the realities of the present.  After I spoke to the 3rd grade class, they had to complete the sentence, "I have a dream..." for themselves.  There were some very honest and vulnerable responses.
What struck me though was the racial tension that exists today was rarely mentioned.  This was a very multi-cultural class so I expected them to say more about it.  In some respects, I am glad racial tension is not huge on their radar, but in other respects, I am saddened.  Do they know that we have a long way to go?  Are we sharing and teaching enough about it?

I guess part of my dream is to never forget the past, to recognize the issues and pain of the present, and to commit to Dr. Martin Luther King's dreams for the future.  We still have so much to do.

2 comments:

  1. EFFECTIVE AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL CASTER AND LOTTERY SPELL 2019 GBOJIESPIRITUALTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM OR WHATSAPP HIM :+2349066410185

    I Want to use this great time to thank DR gbojie for helping me reunite my broken relationship, i never believed on spell or magic till a friend of mine introduce DR gbojie website and i check the website and read all his service and contacted him on his email : gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com and ask him for help to help me bring back my lover who left me for anorther girl 6 months ago and a lottery winning spell and told me never to worry that he will help me with his powerful spell and he told me the procedure to follow and i did as he said after 2 days my boyfriend came back to me begging me to forgive him that everything he did to me was not his faul that he was under a spell that i should accept him back as my boyfriend and this was all i have been waiting for. if you need any spell help contact gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com or gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com or check out his website : http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me contact him on whatsApp +2349066410185 https://powerfulbestspellcaster.blogspot.com/2019/02/effective-and-power-spell-caster-2019.html , facebook page : https://web.facebook.com/Love-spell-and-spiritual-healing-367345627164364/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello am From Canada. I feel so joyful today because of the help Dr Abaka has rendered to me for getting my Husband back with his spell. I have been married for 3 years and it has been so terrible because my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i came across Dr Abaka Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr Abaka is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Abaka now if you are facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email drabakaspelltemple@gmail.com website https://drabakaspelltemple.blogspot.com or call/whats app +2349063230051.

    ReplyDelete