Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ask and You Shall Receive

     Every March I teach a month long unit on "How to Be a Friend to Someone With a Disability" to my 5 year-old "Bridge" class.  I base the unit on Joni Eareckson Tada's curriculum.  It is always the climax of the year and such a blessing to watch.  The purpose of the unit is to dispel children's fears, answer their questions and help them realize that we all have abilities and disabilities and God can use them in powerful ways.
     For 5 years I borrowed a wheelchair for a month so that the "line leader" in my class could ride in it.  Inevitably the first one or two line leaders choose not to take a ride.  They didn't feel comfortable and to some degree, were afraid of it.  Usually by the third or fourth child I have a willing participant and before long they are all anxious to ride and "pop wheelies" down the hallway to lunch.  
     As the years went by It was getting harder to borrow a wheelchair so last summer I secretly started praying that God would provide me with a child's wheelchair.  It would be more comfortable for my friends and I would be able to use it whenever I needed to.  I knew I had a lot of contacts and would probably be able to get a wheelchair, however, I knew I would worry I was using a wheelchair that a child might need.  I told God that if He brought me one I would know it was His gift to me and was free to use.  
     I prayed all summer long that God would bring me one if I should have it.  Then early in the year I was sitting at "Circle Time" reading to my students and I heard a knock at the door.  I looked up and it was the gentleman that repairs the copier for our school.  I motioned for him to come in.  He smiled at me and said, "I have a child's wheelchair and I heard you might want one."  My jaw dropped and I said, "Are you kidding me?  Yes, yes I would love to have one!"
     It was a great start to the year and exciting to tell the children about God's provision.  Every time I look at it, it makes me smile because I remember how God provided.

4 comments:

  1. Deana--Thank you so much for sharing God's provision with us! What a great reminder of His faithfulness! Blessings to you as you begin a new year of teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim. It will be fun to see what happens this year. God always teaches me new things and shows me that He cares about my little classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a future Momma of your classroom, I can't even tell you how excited I am about your love of special needs and the inclusion education that my child and her friends will receive. Acceptance starts with familiarity. I rejoice that my child will not see differences from such an early age. I once read a quote about how little it mattered if our children had measurable intelligence if they did not have empathy for their fellow man. I believe the words were more in line with, "if they are not kind and decent people."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the one that is excited to have a momma with so much knowledge, training, experience and empathy. It is going to be a fun ride!

    ReplyDelete