Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Dear Daddy,

I miss you so much today.  There are so many things I wish I had done today.  I wish I had known about the march in downtown Austin in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  I would have marched in it.  I wish I had gone to your grave and told you how much I love you.  I wish I had gone out and bought a stranger a meal like you would have done.

Instead, I have honored you in another way.  I have loved on your grandchildren and great-grandchildren today.  I have prepared my lesson for my students tomorrow on Dr. King's dream.  I have worked on my books in hopes they will someday help with the dream and other groups of people are not marginalized.

Dad, one day you met and heard Dr. King speak and it changed your life and consequently, it changed the lives of those that were touched by you.  As a good friend once told me, "Today your dad is talking in heaven with Dr. Martin Luther King."  That makes me happy, Dad, and I sure wish I could hear the conversation!!

I love you!
Deana

1 comment: