Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Later Years

    I sure have missed blogging the last several weeks.  I was busy finishing up the school year and helping a loved one that was in the hospital for three weeks.  Life always seems to be full of new situations, experiences and lessons.
     Bill and I have served in special needs ministry for a lot of years but now we are in a stage of learning about the challenges of the elderly.  Like with children you think you are going to learn a lot from the first child and those lessons will be helpful with the second but in reality, the children are going to be so different that many of the lessons learned won't apply.  It seems to be true with your parents as well.  The later years of each of our parents have all been so different. We have had to learn to navigate them but all in different ways.
     As I am walking this road, my own process of aging becomes apparent.  How do I age gracefully?  How do I continue to make a difference?  How do I prepare to continue to contribute even though I may have to continually change its form?  What adaptations need to be made?  As I have shared with many friends, you can still do the same things,you just may have to do them differently.
     Over the next several weeks I will be sharing about some of the challenges the elderly face.  I look forward to walking this journey with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment