Monday, July 27, 2015

...until death do us part

I, (name), take you (name), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part. 


I have never seen these vows so beautifully demonstrated as I did the other day.  I was visiting a senior living facility and while I was waiting for a friend, I noticed an elderly man in the dining hall.  He had difficulty getting around and was in a wheelchair.  He was also pushing a walker alongside him.  He turned to an elderly lady that appeared to have dimentia and gently tapped her on the shoulder and whispered into her ear.  He reached over and embraced her arm to help her stand.  As he whispered words of encouragement, I realized this was his wife.  It was beautiful!


Even though the difficulties of aging are hard to face, I would be blessed to have my spouse by my side, helping me stand, and taking care of me.  I would be equally blessed to be able to take care of him.  What a beautiful example, Mr. and Mrs. Walker!


No comments:

Post a Comment