Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Finding My Sanctuary

     Throughout my life I have always had a secret quiet place I would go to journal, pray and dream a little.  When I was a teenager in Colorado I always loved to get in my car and drive up Turkey Creek Canyon.  The drive up there was just as therapeutic as my walk up the mountainside.  I loved spending time with God and thinking about what my future would be.
     When we moved to Clear Lake, Texas I didn't think it would be possible to find a new little haven but I did.  I loved spending the evening all my myself in Nassau Bay.  The lighthouse, the sound of the water and the laughter of kids in the park where just as soothing to me as the Rocky Mountains.
      When we moved to Austin, I started looking for my special spot as soon as we arrived.  It took me a few years, but I ended up going to Lady Bird Johnson's Wildflower Research Center.  I loved walking their trails, taking pictures of the wildflowers and gazing out one of the beautiful windows in their visitor's center.  Unfortunately, the secret got out and it became a special place to a lot of people but I still go visit because I think it is beautiful.
     My new sanctuary is in Georgetown, however.  It is a place of hope, joy, rest, and beauty.  I love to visit BiG (Brookwood in Georgetown).  I can visit their gift shop and purchase beautiful pottery made by very talented artists,  I can walk through their greenhouse and admire all of the gorgeous flowers.  It is relaxing to find a chair in a quiet corner of their grounds and watch the people that work there.  It is a treat to have lunch in their quaint little cafe.  There are many reasons I love to visit BiG.  At BiG I am surrounded by adults, that happen to have a disability, who are full of talent, energy, purpose, joy and hope.  They are the ones that make the pottery, cards, flower baskets, and food.  
     When I am visiting BiG I always feel inspired to dream a little bigger and love a little deeper.  I see God's reflection in the adults participating in the dream there and I come home refreshed and excited about what the future holds.




No comments:

Post a Comment