Thursday, March 22, 2018

What Is Your Motivation? Is it a cause?

Tragedy, loss, or hardship can often change the trajectory of our life, our vocation or our passion in ministry.  The births of foundations, non-profits, ministries and organizations have often been the result of a personal tragedy. A need for healing can often spawn a cause that we invest ourselves in and desire for others to invest in.

For me, the desire to have a cause in my life was one of the pillars of my upbringing.  It wasn't that my parents insisted we have a cause, rather it was a genetic need to make a difference.  My parents, my siblings, and my children each have a cause they are fighting for.  I can see it developing in my grandchildren.  

At times the fight can be discouraging.  When I see the same battles my parents were fighting 60 years ago as a continuing battle today, it gets my attention.  I can either become discouraged that the problem still exists or I can focus on the improvements that have been made and continue to participate in the cause.

Although I would prefer for the motivation to minister alongside people affected by disability to be love, the motivation of a cause can help drive change in our society.  The motivations of love and cause can work cohesively to make a bigger difference.

"Cause" can bring about positive changes in the church:
  • Physical accessibility in the church: lowered water fountains, wider doorways, ramps, frequent seating opportunities, Braille signage, large print bulletins, and listing devices, to name a few
  • Social accessibility in the church:  people of all abilities are invited to participate in every area of ministry, are encouraged to use their gifts, and are sought out for positions of leadership
  • Spiritual accessibility in the church:  people of all abilities are offered opportunities to participate in membership classes, confirmation, communion, baptism and other practices.
Too often we assume that our place of worship offers the same opportunities to people of all abilities but ask yourself these questions:

  • When was the last time you saw someone with a disability on the worship team or singing a solo?
  • When was the last time you saw someone with a disability be baptized during your service?
  • When was the last time you saw someone with a disability serve in a major leadership role in the church?
  • When was the last time you invited someone over for dinner that would need some form of assistance?
If you can't recall someone with a disability participating in any of these situations, you may be ready for a cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment