Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Heroes Through All Stages of Life


What a powerful picture this is for me and I hope it will be to you...


This is my father's grave.  He passed away 15 1/2 years ago from Multiple Myeloma.  Dad served in the Korean War.  His main responsibility was to identify the dead.  Dad served in small towns in Texas during the 60's, trying to bridge the gap between the church and the acceptance of minorities.  He served in the Food For Peace program, trying to bridge the gap between resources and the poor.  He served as a teacher in the prison system, trying to bridge the gap between the opportunity for education and the incarcerated.  He served as Deputy Director of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, trying to bridge the gap between employment and equal employment and wages for all people.  When Dad retired he tried to close the gap between exposure to church and a true walk with the Lord.  He served our country in powerful ways.

Also in this picture is my mom.  Mom tried to clear any obstacle in the way for my dad to serve in the ways he felt called to.  As a mother, Mom tried to clear any obstacle that would limit the success and opportunities for her children.  Mom served on the PTA and ran for Country Commissioner to support schools and her community.  She continued her education so she could serve in the church as a pastor and encourage people to understand what following Christ really means.  Mom served gang members with grace and she led Bible studies with women that were incarcerated.  Mom is almost 80 and continues to serve as a Stephen's Minister and continually looks for people that are in the margins in her community.  I know she struggles with what this stage of life means for her, but she is continually focused on the inclusion and support of those around her.  

When my mom saw this picture she said, "I am getting old!"  I don't see the white hair or the changes in mobility in this picture.  I see years and years of wisdom.  I see the sacrifices both of my parents made over the years.  I see the example they set for the rest of us.  The picture reminds me of all of the people they have helped out of the margins of society.

It was an honor to take Mom to Dad's grave yesterday.  I have to admit we don't go very often.  Before Dad passed he told me he didn't want me spending time there because that is not where he would be.  I do want to get back over and put new flowers in the vase but I know, and he knows, he is in my heart, all day and every day.  I often ask myself, who would Dad want me to help today and we do it together.  Mom and Dad, thank you for being such great heroes to me.

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life 
to something bigger than oneself."

– Joseph Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment