Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Frances

     I met her 31 years ago and I had no idea how much she would impact my life.  I was a freshman in college and was looking for a part-time job to help out with expenses.  I came across an ad requesting an aide for a woman in her 50's that had recently suffered from a stroke.  Her name was Frances.
     The first time I met Frances I was struck by what a classy lady she was.  She had a very successful career and a beautiful family.  The left side of her body no longer worked.  She could not communicate through speech but we quickly connected with our eyes.
     We hit it off instantly.  She knew that I didn't have any experience but she was incredibly patient with me and taught me so much.  I can't recall how she communicated it to me but somehow she asked me to teach her how to read and write again.  I had no idea how to do that but Frances guided me by nodding or shaking her head.
     She gradually added vocabulary and started writing again and we went on a lot of fun adventures.  She hadn't forgotten how to shop!  We spent a lot of afternoons laughing and having fun together.
     About 6 months into our relationship I received a call from her husband that Frances was ill and was not expected to live.  A few days later she passed away.
     I was incredibly sad over loosing such a sweet friend but to this day I am grateful for all that she taught me.  She taught me to laugh even when things are tough.  She taught me to face my challenges no matter how tough they are.  She taught me to continually search for ways to communicate when you cannot use traditional means.  She taught me to persevere.

1 comment:

  1. Deana--Frances sounds like a beautiful woman! She would be so proud of the woman you have become! We are all reaping the blessings of the lessons from Frances! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete