Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hilary

     About ten years ago I was leaving women's Bible study and was picking up my children that were helping in childcare.  One of the women taking care of the children caught my eye and I stopped to watch her for a few minutes.  She appeared to be in her late 20's but was blessed with the gift of being eternally young.  I found out later that she was 32.
     What struck me was how friendly she was and how competent she was with taking care of children.  She had an incredible ability to calm and reassure new mommies and seemed to instinctively know how to take care of little ones.  I was fascinated by her and stopped to talk to her for a few minutes.
     As the weeks passed I often talked to Hilary and grew to care about her more and more.  One Thursday I stopped by to say hello and she asked if we could have lunch together.  My children had plans and it happened to be my birthday so I said,
     "Yes, that would be wonderful!"
     When we arrived at the restaurant she struggled with placing her order.  I placed my order and then she took out her wallet to pay for the meal.  I told her that it was on me and she said,
      "No, I am buying your lunch because it is your birthday and I want to."
We argued back and forth until Hilary put her hand on mine and said,
      "Don't you realize how important this is to me?"
     I was instantly humbled, thanked her and then thought about the hours she worked to earn the money to do that for me.  When we sat down to eat, I really wasn't sure what to talk about.  I started by asking her about how long she had been working in childcare.  She told me about it and had so much excitement in her eyes.  You could tell how much she loved children.
     Then Hilary looked at me with a serious face and said,
     "But no one will let me do what I want to do.  I am a special needs person but I have gifts and I want          to tell children about Jesus.  I can do that!"
     I was stunned.  I was sad as I thought about how many times I had limited people.  I was also moved by her passion to tell children about Jesus.
     I merely made one phone call and I was amazed at how life for Hilary started to change.  Over time Hilary started having more responsibilities in childcare.  She was a listener for the AWANA program and eventually taught some lessons.  She started working in the school library and was an assistant for some of the art classes at the church school.  Hilary grew and grew and grew.  She has continually touched so many people's lives.
     Hilary and I met for Bible study and accountability for the next nine years.  I must say, Hilary impacted and taught me more than I could ever think about teaching her.  She challenged me, corrected my spiritual course when it was needed, she held me accountable and she made sure I grew in the process.
     I love so many things about Hilary.  She is honest about her abilities and disabilities.  She loves life.  She has an eternal childlike faith and she accepts people for who they are and where they are and then gently takes them to greater spiritual heights.
     Thanks for being my mentor for so many years, Hilary.  I love you!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Deana,
    I hope to meet Hilary some day! She sounds like a remarkable young woman.

    To be honest, I've had a tough day...your blog post about Hilary touched my heart in a very real way. Thank you dear friend!

    Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim! I am sorry you have had a hard day. Is there anything I can do for you? I wish you could have a day with Hilary because she would surely turn it around for you.

    I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an amazing post! Thank you for opening our eyes to how we can devalue others because they have "special needs". I'd love to get your feedback on the posts I called "What have we done to the least?" parts 1-3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alecia, thank you for your comment. I have found that we can limit all kinds of people which actually means we are limiting God. I look forward to reading your post. You have blessed and encouraged me so much tonight. Thank you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Deana what a neat story about Hilary! She has always had the sweetest smile and I've loved watching her enthusiasm in the Adventure Zone. It is so neat to hear your story about connecting with her. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Christin

    ReplyDelete