Sunday, June 3, 2012

06-03-12

This morning in church I opened my Bible to the following passage:

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly, defend the rights of the poor and needy."  Proverbs 31: 8,9

God seems to have me on a continual journey of understanding what it means to advocate and what it means to influence.  I have learned a lot along the way but feel more and more convinced that an attitude
of grace will make the greatest impact.

Right now I am reading a book that a good friend loaned me.  It is called, "out of my mind" by Sharon M. Draper.  It has been a great book.  It is written from the perspective of a young girl that is in a wheelchair and cannot orally communicate.  She shares all of the conversations in her head and all of the things she wished people knew about her.  I highly recommend the book!!  It certainly has broadened my view and understanding.  The young girl extends grace to all of us that have not walked in her shoes but also gives us a glimpse of the assumptions we make and the limitations we set on people.  With grace she has certainly influenced my understanding.

4 comments:

  1. You, my friend, are an inspiration and encouragement....press on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I am so grateful for the sweet spiritual sister He gave me on that mountaintop last year!

      Delete
  2. Deana, As women, we are often directed to Proverbs 31. How many, though, have noticed vs 8-9 you mentioned above? I saw it for the first time a few years ago, and God used it to confirm my role as Kim's advocate and voice--And not only for her, but for all those who are non-verbal. As Rosemary Crossley (originator of facilitated communication ) says, "Not being able to speak is not the same as not having having anything to say." I have heard about "Out of my Mind" and am eager to read it. Another greatbook that has just come out recently is "I Am in Here" by Virginia Breen. You can read and see videos about her daughter Elizabeth on www.iaminherebook.com. Also check out www.thegoldenhatfoundation for a link to a book and documentary about others with non-verbal autism and their journeys to communication. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate them. I appreciate all of the insight you have given me over the years. While reading, "out of my mind," I have thought about Kim so much.

    ReplyDelete