Tuesday, June 5, 2012

06-05-12

I am continuing to read, "out of my mind," by Sharon Draper.  My life has a wonderfully busy schedule so I am only able to read a few chapters at a time, but I always look forward to the next chance I have to read another chapter.

I have been a Sunday School teacher or served in another area of ministry for a long time.  I love kids...all kids.  I have been an advocate for children without a voice, but it is so important to me that all kids feel special, no matter what their abilities or disabilities are.  I try to see every child as exceptional and acknowledge that very child has a challenge.  Every child has something to offer the world.

One of my favorite parts of the book so far was when Mrs. V came into Melody's life.  Melody is in a wheelchair and cannot speak.  So far Melody has been alone with her thoughts for the most part, but Mrs. V has an incredible ability to connect with Melody.

The first time Mrs. V was introduced to Melody her father said hesitantly, "Well, Melody is, well, you know, really special."  

The response was, "All kids are special, Mrs. V had replied with authority.  'But this one has hidden superpowers.  I'd love to help her find them.'"

I love Mrs. V's response.  The reality of Melody's challenges did not stop the potential she saw in her and she acknowledged this is true of all children.  To be honest, the "superpower" in all of us, is God and whatever He empowers us to do.  Truly, the sky is the limit.  Some of my favorite Bible verses are, 


For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:10-12


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  Isaiah 41:9-11


God has plans for us with a hope and a future.  He also will strengthen and help us.  Whenever I have a new student or friend, I have to take a minute to ask myself, "Am I hindering God's plan for them or encouraging it to come to fruition?"

1 comment:

  1. Oh Deana...I miss you! I love this post and it has touched my heart in a very special way! Love ya! Keep pressing on!

    I think I will check out the book you are reading...I love Mrs. V--'But this one has hidden superpowers. I'd love to help her find them.' What a gift!

    ReplyDelete