Monday, March 23, 2015

Issues of Aging: Alzheimers/Dementia'

A few evenings ago I went to see the movie, "Still Alice," based on the book Still Alice by Lisa Genova.  I read the book about a year ago because I have a loved one struggling with dementia.  I loved the book!

It has been one my "to do list" to see the movie since it came out but I was hesitant to because I knew aspects of seeing the movie would be really difficult.  They were.  The movie powerfully depicts the struggles of Alzheimer...the struggles of the patient, the family and even society.  It is heartbreaking for everyone involved.

I found the way Alice responded to her diagnosis intriguing.  She educated herself on what was happening, prepared herself for what was ahead and lived her life as fully as she could at each interval of her progression.

As a family we have walked through the struggle of dementia with my sweet mother-in-law.  We have followed the example of her neurologist and have stayed very upbeat and positive and rarely talked to her about the issues that were ahead.  We just took them as they came.  I wonder if discussing the upcoming changes would have been better.

As my husband and I have lost both of our fathers and have helped with the issues of aging, I wish open dialogue had been more comfortable and easier to approach.  As I see that season of life getting closer for me, I plan to be very open with my children as the years pass and I hope they will be open with me.

I highly recommend the movie if you are caring for a loved one with dementia or Alzheimer.  Do take some tissues with you as it is pretty heartbreaking.  At the same time, it is insightful.  If you have a loved one struggling with Alzheimer or dementia, think through the approach you want to take with the disease.  I think it is important to always stay positive.  The issue to resolve, however, is do you face it openly and honestly and plan for the changes ahead or do you stay as positive as you can, make adaptations when needed and take each stage as it comes?  There are positives and negatives to both approaches.

As with any disease, it is important we approach our loved ones with respect and as caregivers, we make the best decisions we can at the time, we forgive ourselves for the guilt we often feel and make the best out of every opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment