Monday, May 4, 2015

Days 19 and 20: Kids Helping Kids

On Tuesday and Wednesday of last week we held our "Market Days" in the lunchroom.  The kids were so excited to sell what they had brought to raise money.  We had a great variety of items this year:  headbands, hair clips, bracelets, necklaces, shark tooth necklaces, gently used books, decorative paper clips, fruit snacks, refrigerator magnets, homemade cookies and treats, popsicles, scripture memory books, a raffle, artwork, and doggie treats.  It was great to see the kids so excited but I also enjoyed seeing how other parents and the staff supported the kids.  I had several teachers make a point to stop by and thank the kids for what they were doing to support children with disabilities.  I loved seeing the kids bring in bags full of money with their names and the amount of money written on a bag.  The bag that especially got to me said, "Love Money" on the front.

We were also blessed to have a family come in and share with our class last week.  I love the momma of the family.  She hosts a blog that I always enjoy reading.  She shared with my students about her son that has difficulty walking and eating.  Her son is feed through a feeding tube and she demonstrated how this works by having a feeding tube in a teddy bear.  The kids were curious but no longer surprised. The kids have grown so much over the last several weeks.  They respond to every new situation with compassion.

Several of my students shared through the week about friends they have with disabilities.  They spoke openly about the challenges their friends face, but were also quick to share about their friends talents and gifts.

We are coming to a close on our unit about, "How To Be A Friend To Someone With a Disability."  It is always bittersweet for me.  I am anxious to finish counting the money and letting the children know they difference they have made but I will miss introducing them to such amazing people.


2 comments:

  1. So glad we got to come and share about our little Nathan. Thank you for inviting us. It was a defining experience for Matthew too, I think. We are all looking forward to next year sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved being with you guys and I am looking forward to next year as well. I love both of your kids and look forward to getting to know Matthew in the Bridge class.

    ReplyDelete