Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A Child's Point of View

I am enjoying my grandchildren so much.  They are six now.  I love this age because they have so much innocence and yet so much wisdom.  Next year I am looking forward to having more time to visit my J at school and volunteer if I can (I will have to brush up on my Spanish since he is in a dual language program!) I love how much he cares about people but he is so much more sensible than I am.  One of the things I love about J is he doesn't see color but he does see culture and he enjoys different cultures.  His mom and dad are doing such a great job of exposing him to a variety of cultures, languages, and economic situations.

C is one of my students this year which I am enjoying.  Tonight she told me that she sees Mrs. Boggess a lot but she really needs some Meme time.  She said Mrs. Boggess is the "best teacher ever" but Meme is fun to play with.  C asked me if she could give a speech tomorrow in class.  She said, "I have been thinking about something.  It is like this rock I have.  People aren't always beautiful on the outside but if you look on the inside you will see how beautiful they really are!"  Her parents are giving her such confidence and opportunities to express herself.  I am looking forward to her speech tomorrow and I hope the other students will want to give a speech as well.  I love giving them a voice.

I am amazed by how children "get it" so much better than adults do.  They don't have prejudice.  They don't put people in boxes.  No, unfortunately, we teach them how to do that.  I will miss teaching next year, I truly will.  I have had 165 students teach me so many lessons over the years that an adult never could.  

No comments:

Post a Comment