Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Day 2: This Is What It Means...'

It was a powerful day today.  We started off the day reading the book, The Boy Who Changed The World, by Andy Andrews.  I have always loved this story because it talks about a little boy that changed the world but acknowledges the person before him that impacted his life and maybe he was the one that changed the world.  Then the story takes another step and talks about who impacted this person and then another step back and then...in other words, we can all change the world by the impact we make on others.

I then showed the kids the impact they will make by raising money for "Wheels For The World."  We went to www.joniandfriends.org and visited their kids corner.  We then went to a video called, "Ebenezer" on the homepage and the kids fully understood the difference they will be able to make.
A little boy was unable to play outside but his whole world changed when he was given the gift of mobility.  What I love about five year-olds is they are surprised when they see a child with a disability but they quickly move to love and compassion.  My hope is they will be able to then move to friendship.

I introduced a big word to the kids today, "accommodation."  We talked about the things a person with a physical disability may not be able to do, but with a few accommodations or adaptations, they may very well be able to do it.  By the end of the week the kids will be masters at thinking of accommodations!

Next, I pulled out a ukulele and told the kids it is like a tiny guitar.  I started strumming it and asked the children, "How do you think you would play it if you didn't have any arms?"  One of my kids who tunes in very quickly said, "With your toes!!"  I told her she was right and then introduced them to Tony Melendez by showing a clip from YouTube.  Afterwards we all took a little rest on the floor and listened to his music.

From watching an introductory video on Joni Eareckson Tada yesterday, the kids knew that she couldn't paint with her hands and has to use her mouth to hold a paintbrush.  So we decided to try it!  Most of the kids thought it was pretty difficult and it was especially difficult to not sneak their hands on top of the table and use them!

When I asked the kids during "Circle Time" if they thought it was hard they all started saying it was easy.  I reminded them of their comments while they were painting.  When I pulled out a picture of one of Joni's paintings, every one of their mouths dropped and they started saying, "WOOOOW!"  I shared with them that Joni says the ability to paint is not in your hands, but in your mind.

Tomorrow we will have our first guests.  I told them when they get dressed tomorrow to be sure and put their manners on :)  I know they will love their new friends tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment