Thursday, March 3, 2016

Day 3: How To Be A Polite Friend

It was a quieter day.  We will have a number of visitors tomorrow, however.  

We had a wonderful day of reading a few books about children with physical disabilities.  My favorite time of the day was role playing what it would be like to be in a wheelchair and how to be kind and polite to someone that uses a wheelchair.  

I love to exaggerate some of the crazy things we do and then ask the children what is wrong with what I am doing.  What am I doing that is impolite?  How could I be a better friend?  We talked about a number of things such as, see the person first, not the wheelchair and sit down next to the person in the wheelchair rather than standing and looking down on them.  We also talked about offering assistance is polite but do not just start pushing someone around.  We had a number of suggestions to discuss and the children came up with a few on their own.

As we concluded our time together I asked the children if you can dance when you are in a wheelchair.  They said of course and started wiggling around in their seats.  I said that is one way to do it but here is another way.  I started singing a Beatles song and danced with one of my students in the wheelchair.  They loved watching us spin around the room together.

No comments:

Post a Comment