Sunday, October 30, 2016

Challenging, Inspiring, Life-Changing

Everyone experiences events in life that change the course of their life.  Of course giving my life to Christ, getting married, having children and grandchildren are at the top of that list.  We also have those events that shape our perspectives as well as the calling God will place on our lives.  Participating in civil rights marches, working for Lyman Coleman of Serendipity, spending the summer at a convent, and being involved in special needs ministry are a few of the experiences that have helped shape my perspective and journey in life.

Last January I felt God's prompting to take a course that would refine some of my perspectives.  I was a little nervous to take a college level class after so many years but I am so glad I did.  I took the course, Beyond Suffering:  A Christian View on Disability Ministry.  I was so impressed by it that I took their leadership training course as well so that I would be qualified to teach the course at some point.  

I have been thinking and praying through what 2017 should look like and I am anxious and excited to share this course with you.  I have absorbed the material but I want it to infiltrate my view of disability ministry and most importantly, the friends working through the challenges of disabilities.  There is no better way to do that than to teach the material to others.

"Beyond Suffering is a dynamic course in which a serious student can discover what God is doing in the midst of suffering around the world, as well as his ultimate redemption plan for us and for our world.  The four modules will give the student a well-rounded introduction to the various aspects of disability ministry.  Each module highlights a different facet of God's global purpose for welcoming people with disabilities into the church." -from Beyond Suffering by Joni Eareckson Tada and Steve Bundy

The modules included in the course are:
  • An Overview of Disability Ministry
  • The Theology of Suffering and Disability
  • The Church and Disability Ministry
  • An Introduction to Bioethics
Prayerfully consider joining me on Saturday, November 19 from 10:00 am - 11:00 am to hear  details about the course and the impact it will make on your view of disability ministry and most of all, people.  If you have questions or plan to attend, please contact me at theboggi@aim.com or by calling me at 512-673-0187.  I hope you will consider taking this journey with me if you are in the Austin area.  If you are out of the Austin area, please consider taking the course online.  You can go to https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/beyond-suffering/id609174961?mt=11or www.joniandfriends.org for more information about the course.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Deana Boggess


No comments:

Post a Comment