Monday, October 17, 2016

The Shelter of Hope

Yesterday was tough with one of those life experiences you never want to have.  This morning I went to check on a friend that was deeply hurt by that experience and it was evident that her anchor of hope was buried.

Over the years I have helped friends and loved ones walk through serious illnesses, many forms of cancer, the loss of a parent, the loss of a child, fatal car accidents, and end stage dementia.  Each of these ailments have their own brand of suffering.  An illness we don't often recognize, however, is the malady of hopelessness.

As I sat by my friend's side, she looked up at me and said, "I just don't know if it is worth it anymore."  There wasn't a pill, shot, or exercise I could hand her that could treat the ailment.  Fortunately, for all of us, there is a cure, however.

No matter what the ailment, loss or heartache is, Christ is our hope.  It is a hope that stays with us.  It  is an everlasting hope.  When we ask Christ to be our Savior, He joins the journey with us and gives us hope on a daily basis.

A wise friend once shared with me, "Every storm runs out of rain."  Sometimes you simply need to ride out the storm under the shelter of God's loving arms.  Eventually the rain will stop and God will place a rainbow as a reminder of His promises.


Psalm 25:5 Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalm 62:5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.

2 Corinthians 1:7 And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment