Friday, October 27, 2017

Since I Turned 50...

Since I turned 50, not in any specific order but as they came to me...

I attended the weddings of my beautiful daughters
I welcomed my little Tolkien into the world
I retired from teaching
I started an LLC
I designed a website
I got my first pair of hearing aids
I ordered a logo
I took Mental Health First Aid
I attended a conference on mental health
I spoke on a radio show
I met (via Skype) with an inspiring young man in Rwanda
I started a blog
I said goodbye to one of my favorite women in the world
I attended my daughter's college graduation
I attended my daughter's graduation with her Master's degree
I taught my granddaughter how to read
I learned how to play PIG with my grandson and actually won a few games
I asked my grandson to teach me Spanish
I wrote the plans for my funeral (they are on my desktop should anyone need them)
I faced one of my biggest fears and started public speaking
I wrote and published my first book
I wrote and published my second book
I went to San Francisco with my sweet husband
I went up and down the Oregon coast with him
I started dreaming new dreams
I became a certified teacher for Beyond Suffering 
I flew to California to be in the presence of one of my heroes, Joni Eareckson Tada
I reconnected with another hero, the lady that loved me through the teenage years.  She and her husband told me about the Lord so many years ago
I moved my mom into independent living and asked her for advice
I moved my mom into assisted living and learned from her wisdom
I found my third grade teacher in Dallas, I took her some flowers and thanked her for being my favorite
I hopped on a plane and flew to Arizona to thank my first employer for investing in me
I told my dad I miss him about a million times and then I found something to do that would bring a smile to his face
I told my mother-in-law I loved her, it was ok to go and we would all be ok... and then I sang "Jesus Loves Me" to her
I lamented over two broken relationships from high school and college.  I tried to connect with them and fix whatever happened.  I couldn't but I tried.
I asked a lady on a plane to share her story with me and I learned what it was like to survive a concentration camp, as well as the flashbacks
I looked in the mirror and thought about dyeing my hair again but practicality won
I started the "Ultimate Bucket List" book and have completed 1/4 of them (someday I will check off skinny dipping!)
I watched my grandson play with the wind
I looked in the mirror and stared at the wrinkles spreading out from the corners of my eyes, but now   I have decided they are no longer wrinkles but stories I haven't shared yet

Most of all, my friendship and awe of God have grown in ways I never imagined...

The list is still growing!  The purpose of this list is not to brag or lament but to share with those of you that are dreading 40, 50, or 60... hey, it is not all bad.  There are a lot of freedoms and opportunities after 50.  It excites me to think about all of the opportunities! Yes, there are some hard realities of life but the joys outweigh them.  Cherish the freedoms and explore the possibilities!

I love checking off my bucket list but I am reserving three for when the end is almost near and Bill has specific instructions!  When I am about to kick that 'ol bucket, bring me a piece of cheesecake and take me skydiving and finally, if I am laid out in a casket, sew a large SIZE 2 label in my shirt for everyone to see!



No comments:

Post a Comment