Sunday, August 12, 2018

Love In The Margins

Oh course, I loved her the moment I laid eyes on her, but one of the moments when I realized how special she was occurred when she was five-years-old.  I found her in the bathtub with the shower curtain closed, reading a book, in the middle of the night.  Bethany had a tremendous love for learning and still does. She has three degrees and is working on her PhD in Epidemiology.  

I love her love for learning, but I especially love her love for people.  Bethany has never been one to enjoy the spotlight.  Most of the time you will find her in the margins looking for someone to help, someone to learn from, someone to befriend.  I know that love has been painful at times, but her desire to extend it continues to grow.

We often consider what we need to teach our children, never realizing how much they will teach us.  Bethany has taught me to challenge all of my convictions, making some of them stronger and some of them more pliable.  She has brought people to me from the margins that I may not have known otherwise and I am grateful.  She has influenced me to want to live with less and with greater gratitude.

Happy Birthday, Bethany!  
Your love and your countenance are more beautiful every year!
Much love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment