Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Day 17: Learning About Learning Disabilities

The kids brought in another $400 today!!  They are still going strong and still get very excited when it is their turn to hang up butterflies in the school.  I have stopped telling them how many wheelchairs they have raised money for.  They will be very surprised at the total!

We had a special treat today.  One of the children's mothers works for Salus Chiropractic.  They came to our school yesterday and today to bless the teachers with lunch and massages. They are also donating money for the "Wheels For the World" fundraiser.  They are such a kind group of people and I must say, give great massages!  Thank you, Salus Chiropractic, for partnering with us on "Wheels For the World", and for spoiling us on top of it!

In class today I shared with the kids about dyslexia.  I have a large lowercase "d" that I flip to a "b", then a "p", and then a "q".  I shared with the kids that it is normal for them to still get confused between a "b" and a "d" but one day they will stop doing that.  I shared that some children will continually flip letters and it makes it very difficult to read.  I then had them sit at a table with a piece of paper that is divided into 12 squares.  They were quickly given instructions on things to write and draw in each section.  The task was pretty difficult.

Afterwards we had a group discussion and I asked the kids if they thought the exercise was difficult or frustrating.  Most of them said it was.  I shared that children with learning disabilities feel this way quite often.  We had a great discussion about whether we should make fun of someone that is struggling or encourage them.  We talked about different ways we can encourage each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment