Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day 20: Invisible Disabilities

On Friday we talked about "Invisible Disabilities" during our class time.  Sometimes people have disabilities that cannot be seen.  We had already talked about dyslexia and autism.  I told the kids that I have a disability that cannot be seen and asked if they could guess what it was.  

I eventually shared with them that I have diabetes.  In fact, I have a number of family members with diabetes.  They all exclaimed, "Oh yeah, you aren't supposed to eat very much sugar!"  I said, "Yeah, it is kind of a bummer."

I shared about some of the pitfalls of diabetes and how I have to watch how low and how high my blood sugar gets.  Thankfully, I have a pretty mild case right now but I have to be careful.   I shared with the kids that most of us have challenges in one way or another but God can use those challenges to show His power.  

We concluded our time by watching a DVD from Joni Eareckson Tada's "How To Be A Friend To Someone With A Disability."  They learned more about their program and how the wheelchairs are collected, refurbished at prisons, and then redistributed to people that need them.  The kids were also able to see a video of some of the kids that have received wheelchairs.

We will be learning a few more things about disabilities this week but mostly, we will be preparing for our big celebration.  I cannot wait to tell the parents and kids how much money was raised!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this entry. Invisible disabilities are just as important and reminds us that we never know what someone could be struggling with internally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Melissa. The truth is we are all struggling with something (or will eventually). Unfortunately I have misjudged people at times and the reality was, I had no idea what was really going on in their lives. It is all about grace. We all need to give it and we all need to receive it.

    ReplyDelete