Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Day 18: How To Be A Friend to Someone With a Learning Disability (from Joni Eareckson Tada)

Today we continued our discussion about learning disabilities.  Since my students are learning to read they can appreciate the struggle it can be sometimes.  Some of them are now about to read well without sounding out words and some of them are on the verge of being able to read smoothly.  Because this is so fresh in their minds they can relate to the child that struggles with reading or other learning disabilities.  The kids have been great about encouraging each other as they are learning to read.

Several of my students brought up stuttering.  Several of them know someone that struggles with this.  One of my children shared that her brother struggles with it.  She sweetly said, "I never speak for him.  I am just patient and listen."  I shared with her about a friend of mine that shared a story with me years ago.  He struggled with stuttering as a child and he shared all of the emotional struggles that went along with it.  Eventually he was taught to talk in a four-box pattern.  At first he sounded robotic but after practicing with this method he became very quick at it and no one could tell he was speaking in a pattern.  I certainly couldn't tell.  He shared with me how much this meant to his life.  I think of Moses who struggled with speaking and how God used him in such powerful ways.

I shared from Joni Eareckson Tada's book, On A Roll For Jesus!.  She includes a list of suggestions on "How To Be A Friend To Someone With A Learning Disability."  Some of the suggestions encourage us to not tease but be encouraging, be respectful when they are trying to work, don't speak for someone but be patient and encouraging, and to never call anyone names.

The kids opened up a lot when they shared times they have been teased or called a name and how much they didn't like it.  We talked about how they all deserve to be treated with respect.  They had great suggestions on how to do that for each other.

As I closed the day, I spent two hours hanging up butterflies.  I can't think of a better way to end the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment