Friday, December 26, 2014

Grace Without Margins: Chapter Eleven

Listening With Your Heart

"The ability to listen with your heart can come naturally, but it can also develop over time.  I think this is one of the many reasons God asks us to serve one another.  It gives us time, in the presence of another, to learn when they need and what they are going to be able to impart to us.  Listen with your heart."

Relationships are not easy.  Even the ones we think are easy have their difficult moments.  I wish I had heard the phrase "listen with your heart" many years ago.  There are so many relationships and moments within those relationships when I wish I had stopped, taken a step back and listened with my heart.  If I had set aside my own desires...if I had listened to the wisdom of someone else...if I had just comforted instead of tried to "fix" something...if I had listened for the real concern rather than the one I assumed it was... things may have turned out differently.

Listen with your heart when you have a conflict
  • with your parents
  • with your friends
  • with your boss 
  • with your spouse
  • with your children
  • with the child in your Sunday School class
  • with the family walking through the doors of your church
  • and especially, with God
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27

No comments:

Post a Comment