Monday, December 29, 2014

Grace Without Margins: Chapter Sixteen

Advocate Vs. Influence

Can you recall a time when God set you up for something amazing?  He prompted you to do something.  You did it only out of obedience and then you watched God's plans unfold.

What is the hardest part for you in trusting God's promptings?  Do you second guess if you heard Him right?  Is it hard to take the next step?  Is it hard to not be the one in control?

What images and situations come to mind when you think about the word "advocate?"  When have you seen advocacy used effectively?  When have you seen it do more harm than good?

What images and situations come to mind when you think about the word "influence?"  When have you seen influence used effectively?  When has it not been effective?

In your current ministry, in what areas do you need to advocate and in what areas do you need to influence?  Who is the best advocate on your ministry team?  Who is the best influencer?  What do you need to learn from each other?

I found a quote yesterday that I love.  

What I like in a good author is not what he says, but what he whispers. 
~Logan Pearsall Smith, 
"All Trivia," Afterthoughts, 1931

I remember one Sunday I heard a children's ministry volunteer talking to another volunteer about the "normal" children.    I leaned over and whispered, "Have you thought about what that word communicates about the other kids?"  That is all I needed to whisper.  This particular volunteer is an amazing lady and I share it with humility because I had someone whisper in my ear years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment