Friday, December 26, 2014

Grace Without Margins: Chapter Twelve

Wookie Wookie

It has been a blessing to me over the years to find a special greeting for the kids that it takes a little more time to build a relationship with.  Think of a greeting that compliments the child.  For example, I worked with one little girl that could not communicate orally and rarely showed expression on her face.  It was important to be consistent and to greet her the same way the moment I saw her.  With her, I always signed "beautiful girl."  I can't say she ever smiled when I greeted her but she always looked for my sign and then would come towards me and hug me.  She will always be my "beautiful girl."

Turn towards your ministry partner, hold up your hands, make them "talk" and say, "Wookie Wookie."  Do this over and over.  It was kind of fun, wasn't it!

Here are some ideas on developing a special greeting:
  • Give them a "sign name."
  • Give a "high five."
  • Give a "fist bump."
  • Give them a compliment. 
  • Greet them with the same phrase.


In your discussion group, share ways you have done this.  What greeting have you continually used without realizing it?
Give an example of a time when you entered someone else's world.  What was the outcome?
Share about a child you are wanting to reach.  Let the group give you some ideas on how to greet them or enter their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment