Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Prayground

I love TEXAS!  My family and friends are there and I feel at home.  Yet, as soon as I got off the plane in Denver yesterday, and saw the beautiful foothills to the Rockies, I knew my heart was truly home.  Everywhere I looked I was reminded of a different memory.  I recalled driving up and down the hills of Arapahoe Road as a teenager, back when there was nothing on it.  It took me home to drive by where I worked for so many years and the invaluable lessons I learned from Lyman and Margaret Coleman.

Roads, houses, and landmarks took me "home" but then I went a step further and walked into my spiritual home, St. James Presbyterian Church.  Jim and Sally Stuart initiated a beautiful journey for me with the Lord and Les Avery, the Sr. Pastor when I was there, and hundreds of other people invested in me.  I grew up there, both in age and grace.

There are many things I loved about St. James growing up.  The worship center was formed in a circle and communicated such a great sense of community and family.  And every Sunday, they allowed a certain amount of time for sharing prayer requests, concerns, and praises.  The congregants cultivated an acceptance of wherever you are on your journey, we are here for you.

When I walked into the worship center yesterday I was struck by something new that had been added.    To one side of the room there were a couple of children's tables and chairs, coloring books and colors, and a few toys.  I can't stop thinking about it because there were powerful messages behind that simple display.  It communicated acceptance of where children are on their journey.  They have difficulty sitting still for a long period of time, yet they are like sponges when it comes to taking in what they are surrounded by like worship music, prayer, community, and scriptural truths.

The "Prayground" also communicates that perfection is not the goal.  I have seen a wave of the attempt for perfection in worship.  I agree that we should give our best to the Lord, but there is not a person in the church that is perfect.  When everything about a service is orchestrated to perfection, it can make the imperfect person feel like they don't belong.

I continually go back to the image of Christ on a hillside with children gathered around Him.  Nothing was orchestrated.  Nothing was perfect.  A child with a disability would be welcomed and loved as all children should be.

Thank you, St. James, for the reminder that we are all a work in progress in need of grace and acceptance of where we are on the journey.  When I walked into your church home yesterday, the beautiful cross I grew up with instantly took me home to those beautiful years of growth and grace.

* I want to give a special thanks to Pastor Dr. Wayne Darbonne, Pastor Jim Stuart and Erika Roberg for welcoming me back into the St. James family after 40+ years have passed.




No comments:

Post a Comment