Friday, April 5, 2013

Days 17 and 18: Learning About Intellectual and Emotional Challenges

      We are almost finished with our "How To Be a Friend To Someone With a Disability" curriculum based on Joni Eareckson Tada's book, "On a Roll For Jesus."  It is always a highlight of my school year and I am a little sad when we are finished.  There is always so much to talk about and I wish I could introduce the children to so many more people.  It is similar to when you go to Europe and come back so excited about the journey.  You are anxious to share the pictures with all of your friends.  There just aren't enough words to express all of the experiences and emotions, however.  All I do know is the kids have changed and so have I.
     In one of Joni's DVD clips she talked about "Invisible Disabilities," one of them can be autism.  The children had a lot of questions about autism.  I shared with them some characteristic behaviors and struggles.  It was interesting because some of them started sharing struggles about each other in a way that could be hurtful.  I thought well I could end the conversation or teach from it. So I taught from it.  We openly shared our challenges and what we do to handle them and then we talked about how to encourage one another and cheer each other on.  From that discussion they know they love each other.
     One of the little boys in my class is Will and Will has such a huge heart for everyone in the class and if you struggle at all, he has an even bigger heart.  He always adds a lot of grace to a conversation.  For a little guy he also has wisdom regarding how to encourage someone.  Will has quietly and confidently raised money for the wheelchair and his family has been a huge part of it.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment