Sunday, October 12, 2014

Embrace The Challenge!

     The other day I wrote about a word that I don't like:  confinement.  Today I wanted to talk about a word that I do like:  embrace.  Embrace, according to Dictionary.com, means the following:

1.  to take or clasp in the arms; press to the bosom; hug.
2.  to take or receive gladly or eagerly; accept willingly:
     to embrace an idea.
3.  to avail oneself of:
     to embrace an opportunity.
4.  to adopt (a profession, a religion, etc.)
5.  to take in with the eye or the mind.
6.  to encircle; surround; enclose.
7.  to include or contain

     I think it is interesting our society embraces glasses.  They represent a challenge for us.  They show that we are less than perfect but as a society we tend to think of them as a fashion statement.  A couple of years ago I had to get glasses, progressive lenses no less, and I bought glasses with leopard print on them.  That isn't exactly inconspicuous!
     Since my husband is an audiologist I asked him why hearing aids are not thought of the same way.  He chuckled and said there was a time a few years ago that manufacturers were trying to make them a fashion statement by adding jewelry.  I said, "It was a flop, wasn't it?"  Once again, he laughed.
     Over the years I have met many people that refuse to wear hearing aids because they don't want anyone to see them or think less of them.  I guess I want to say, take it and clasp it in your arms,
embrace the opportunity, receive it gladly, adopt and adapt, encircle it, and include it in your life.  
     I remember so many dinner conversations with my dad checked out because he couldn't hear anyone very well.  He was left out.  I have numerous other friends that have done the same thing.
     A few years ago I wore a hearing aid so I could understand one of my students.  I didn't wear them for a few years after that and now, well, I think they may be a permanent part of my getting ready in the morning.  I realized that I was missing out.  I was frustrating some loved ones when they had to constantly repeat things for me.  On top of it you can only act like you understood a conversation and give inappropriate responses so long before you look like you have other challenges as well.
     I am still getting used to some of the sounds I never heard like rustling paper and water dripping.  I am also discovering that not near as many people have speech impediments as I once thought :) but I feel more included, especially in crowds and at restaurants.
Hearing Aid Fashion Accessory
     I just want to encourage you to get your hearing checked if you are feeling more left out of conversations.  Your family wants you fully present and able to add to conversation.  Life is going to throw all kinds of challenges at us.  We can't always dodge them.  Sometimes we just have to embrace them.  So even if you have to add a little "bling," make a fashion statement if needed!


No comments:

Post a Comment