Thursday, October 2, 2014

Take Off the Turtleneck

I guess we all have our issues and one of mine is confinement.  I never liked turtlenecks because they confined my neck.  I have never liked closed-toed shoes, because well, they confined my toes.  I love to hug, but I also have a somewhat larger space bubble.  I don't like small rooms, small cars, or small clothes....there you go.

Most of all, however, I don't like boxes or at least not being confined to one.  I have never liked boxes.  I don’t like to teach in a box and I definitely don’t like to put children in a box.  They don’t need labels from me such as class clown or brain or the colorful one.  I should never limit a child’s potential by a box I picked for them.

As an adult I don't like to be called a republican.  I don't like to be called a democrat.  I don't like to be called conservative or liberal because I am either one or both depending on who is confining me.

My point is, we shouldn't feel the necessity to confine people with a box or a label.  We are all wonderfully complex with the ability to learn and grow and even change.  I have several friends with recent diagnoses.  I would hate for them to be put in a box with a diagnosis label because you know what, they are still everything they were before.  They have just added another dimension.

This week remember to embrace the totality of a person.  Describe them by their gifts, their talents and their impact.  Let them be free to be all that God designed them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment