Saturday, January 3, 2015

Grace Without Margins: Chapter Nineteen

Teaching Typical Children About 
Children With Special Needs

I will never forget the last time I went to the grocery store with my five-year-old grandson.  As most five-year-olds do, he was asking questions as we went around the store.  As a middle-aged man,  about his same height, starting walking towards him, I knew there would be questions in a matter of seconds.  I smiled and then in my head I counted, "1, 2, and 3."

"Meme, why is he so small?  Why didn't he grow?  Meme, will he get bigger?"  What I love most about kids is they don't have any walls, they just have questions.  My grandson wasn't uncomfortable, he didn't make any assumptions, he simply had questions.

One of my favorite things to do is answer children's questions.  Lol...now, some of the more sensitive or controversial questions I don't answer and I just smile and say, "That would be a great question to ask your parents over dinner tonight!"  The questions that can be resolved with information, however, I love to answer.  "Why can't she walk?"  Why can't he hear?"  When I explain the situation and answer the question, the child is fine and may even talk to the other child or start to play with them.  I love to tell them we all have things we cannot do and sometimes that is the best way for God to show His power.

  • This Sunday, make an effort to answer a child's questions.  If you see a child staring at a child with a disability, go up and introduce them to each other.  Tell the child about some of the gifts and interests the child you are assisting has.
  • This Sunday, let a child with a disability lead the prayer time or have a part in the Bible story.
  • This Sunday, make accommodations in the classroom that no one else will notice, but will help the child with a disability feel more involved and connected with his/her classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment