Friday, January 2, 2015

Grace Without Margins: Chapter Eighteen

Unexpected Mentors

In this chapter I share about two different mentors that had a huge impact on my life.  I have always told my children, always look for advice from someone further down the road than you are and listen to people that have had more life experience than you have.

I am amazed at how many mentors we can have in our lives if we just take the time to notice them.  They are all around us.  Sometimes we learn best from an elder, sometimes a child, sometimes a complete stranger.  

It's funny.  I have been teaching for the past ten years and I always thought of my student's parents as peers until one day, all of a sudden, I realized I was the same age as some of their parents.  They started calling me Mrs. Boggess and their children, who used to slip and call me "Mommy," were now slipping and calling me "Grandma!"  That seemed to happen overnight!  My point is...you are probably a mentor to someone else and don't even know it.  You are teaching others, not as far down the road as you are, on a daily basis.

So...
  • Who are the mentors you have had in your life?
  • What have you learned from them?
  • Are you currently seeking counsel from them?
  • Who are you learning from spiritually and in ministry?
  • Is your ministry set up to encourage mentoring in regard to stage of life, stage of spiritual growth, and stage of serving in ministry?
  • Who are you reaching behind for and pulling forward in life and ministry?  Are you looking for opportunities to help someone else in their journey?


"Remember those who led you
who spoke the word of God to you;
and considering the result of their conduct, 
imitate their faith."
Hebrews 13:7 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment