Monday, April 2, 2012

The Butterfly Effect - Day 16

     My class was small today.  I think allergy season is getting the best of my kids lately.  Hopefully, they will all be feeling better soon.  With such a small group we had a great discussion, however.  I asked the kids what they have learned in this unit on disabilities that they will never forget.  Here are their responses:
  • "Don't lean on someone in a wheelchair."
  • "That we are going to change the world!"
  • "When someone is in the wheelchair, don't put the brakes on when they are moving."
  • "With people who have disabilities, don't talk to the person helping the guy who has a wheelchair." (I think he meant to not talk to the person in the wheelchair through their helper)
  • "Pray for wheelchairs for other people who need them.
  • "Don't go up to someone in a wheelchair and just start pushing them around."
  • "I learned not to lean on someone in a wheelchair."
  • "I won't forget how many wheelchairs we got from earning dollars."
  • "Notice the person in the wheelchair (not the wheelchair)."
  • "When you help someone who is blind, let them hold your elbow."
We also talked about our last disability or challenge, intellectual and mental disabilities.  For our first lesson I help up a "P."  Then I flipped it to a "d," a "b," and a "q."  I also showed them an alphabet with some of the letters flipped around or upside down.  We talked about dyslexia and how we can be a friend to someone that has this challenge.  The kids had great ideas on how to be supportive and understanding.
     Later in the afternoon we heard from Joni Eareckson Tada, through DVD.  She shared some of the occupations that can be used at "Joni & Friends" to help "Wheels Around the World" and talked about how anyone can serve the Lord, no matter what abilities and disabilities they have.  She also shared two verses with us, 

"That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."  II Corinthians 12:10

"Rejoice always,  pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."  I Thessalonians 5:16-18

     As we closed for the day, I shared with the kids that I won't tell them anymore how much money was raised until our big celebration next week.  They all made predictions about how much they thought the total would be.  I can hardly wait to tell them and celebrate together!

No comments:

Post a Comment