Monday, April 9, 2012

The Butterfly Effect - Day 21

     Besides getting married, watching my children come into the world, and loving my grandchildren as they came into the world, this has been one of the most exciting days of my life.  I don't even know where to begin...
     Towards the end of school we gathered together to celebrate what God has done in our classroom and in our hearts over the last month.  I had been going over things in my mind all morning, worrying that I had forgotten something and praying that the kids would feel celebrated.  I am just so incredibly proud of them.  Anyway, I walked into the party and I could see my hero, Joni Eareckson Tada on the computer screen.  I thought one of my parents was playing one of her DVD's.  Then Joni started talking to me!  I was stunned.  One of my awesome moms had surprised me and set up a skype visit.  I am still in shock!  I truly cannot think of a better blessing!  Joni, you are an amazing lady and I am so touched to have had some time with you today!!
     I took the computer and Joni out in the hall (so I could keep things a surprise) and told Joni how many wheelchairs they had raised money for.  She was surprised, delighted and celebrated with us!
     When I went back into the party, I asked the kids if they wanted to know how many wheelchairs we had enough money for.  They all yelled, "Yes, how many?"  I told them they couldn't know yet and handed out the surprises "Joni and Friends" had sent to me.  Then I had the kids line up and I handed each of them a balloon as the parents counted out loud.  I gave out 15 balloons to represent 15 wheelchairs!!!
     Then one of my blessings in life, Jabe, came up and shared his story with the kids.  Jabe was born with spina bifida.  I met Jabe a few hours after he was born.  Some friends of ours had shared with us that he was about to be born and would have the challenge of spina bifida.  We wanted to go celebrate his precious life with his parents and we have been friends ever since.
     Jabe talked to the kids about being in the wheelchair.  He shared about all of the things he can do and showed them pictures of himself on a zip line and all kinds of other things.  Jabe is ten years old and is such an incredible inspiration to me.  He told the kids how happy it made him that they had raised money for so many wheelchairs for kids that needed them.  I asked Jabe if he was happy and he said, "Yes, really happy!."  I said, "Could we make you happier?"  I then grabbed four more balloons out of the closet and handed them out...

16, 17, 18, and 19 wheelchairs!!!!

We all cheered and were so excited!  We talked about the amazing things that God had done over the month and I asked Steffani, the director of the school, to close things off.  Steffani came forward and brought out a giant butterfly balloon and a check.  The butterfly balloon represented the

20th wheelchair!!
The check was for $3, 036.59!

I am so proud of these incredible kids and their incredible parents that helped make everything possible!

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations for ever and ever!  Amen.  Ephesians 3:20, 21


Remember...
"That means every little thing You do matters:  what you did yesterday, what you do today, and what you do tomorrow.  God made your life so important that every move you make, every action you take, matters....and not only for you or the people around you.  Everything you do matters for everyone and for all time!  When you think about it like that...WOW!  That means YOU can be the kid who changes the world!"  by Andy Andrews


2 comments:

  1. What an amazing fantastic day! Deana, I am in awe of the way God has used you to teach this little group of children about his love! Their diligence and your heart combined in such an awesome way. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. And to skype with Joni...how incredible. I am so excited for you and your little class!! And I am excited for those who will receive the wheelchairs! Love you, sister. Keep up the great work. I bought the book for two special friends at school. Now I need to read Andy Andrews book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever wrote this, thank you. I appreciate all of your kind words. I hope one of the impacts this makes is to remind us not to miss "it." The more we respond to the Holy Spirit's promptings, the more He will prompt us. I am going to try to listen more and more to those promptings! May God be glorified in all that we say and do.

    ReplyDelete