Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Butterfly Effect - Day 15

     For those of you that may just be joining us on our journey, let me summarize.  I teach a Bridge class for 5 year-old students.  Every year I take them on a month long journey on "How To Be A Friend To Someone With A Disability."  I love to teach "typical kids" about kids with special needs, first breaking down the wall of fear, then pity, and leading to empowerment of all children.  We have completed our weeks on physical disabilities, hearing impairment, and visual impairment.  Next week we will conclude with a week on intellectual and mental challenges.  The majority of the lesson plans are extracted from "Joni & Friends" and their curriculum, "How To Be A Friend To Someone With A Disability."
     Yesterday we concluded our week on visual impairment by listening to the singers, performers, and musicians, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles.  We listened to Dion Warwick and Stevie Wonder sing, "That's What Friends Are For," and Ray Charles sing, "America the Beautiful."  When Stevie Wonder sang, one of my shy little girls came up to me, closed her eyes, held out her arms, and swayed to the music.  With her sweet little voice she said, "Do you mind if I sing with him?"
     During the unit we have also raised money for a wheelchair for "Wheels for the World."  My goal was to raise $300.  They have now raised $1,800!  More than that, they have learned about to serve and sacrifice for other children.


No comments:

Post a Comment