Sunday, March 4, 2012

specialneeds@thecastle.blog

     For a number of years now, seven I believe,  I have taken my class of 15 five year-olds on a month long journey.  I share with them about physical, hearing, vision, and intellectual/mental challenges.  When I was growing up society taught you not to stare at people with disabilities.  So I didn't stare, but it also meant that I didn't look at them either.  My hope is that through the experiences and lessons we will have, they will learn to see the person first and not the wheelchair.  They will learn that there are a multitude of ways to communicate, not just through our voices and that all of us have been created with a special plan and purpose.  We all have abilities and disabilities and my hope is that they will begin to understand God can use our weaknesses to show his strength.  I love the verses in 2 Corinthians 12:9-11, which read,  

"But He (the Lord) said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness,'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."

It is amazing to see what can happen when we turn our weaknesses over to God to let Him show His strength.

     In addition to learning about a variety of challenges, we will also be talking about "The Butterfly Effect," written by Andy Andrews.  Just as a butterfly moves molecules of air by flapping its wings which then causes other molecules of air to move, the things that we do for change can cause a ripple effect for even more change.  Throughout the unit we will be raising money to send to "Joni & Friends" for their "Wheels for the World" program.  We will raise money to refurbish a wheelchair that will then be distributed somewhere around the world to someone that needs one.
     We would love for you to come on our journey with us for the next month.  We will start tomorrow, March 5.  The kids are already dreaming about what they will do to help raise money for the wheelchair.  I always love to watch the children that work the hardest because they will be the most changed.  We are dreaming big this year so follow our posts and see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment