Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Butterfly Effect - Still Spring Break!

     There are many things in life that I truly love.  I love the 100+ students that God has blessed me with over the last 7 years.  They taught me more than I ever conceived of teaching them.  I think about them often and the journeys they are on.  I feel fortunate that God gave me a moment in their lives.  
     I love my current students.  In fact, I am approaching the time of year that makes me a little weepy because my moment with them will be over soon.  Just as a butterfly touches down for a moment and does a little pollinating, I hope I have too.
     I love my own kids that reside in the depths of my soul.  It is a continual journey of holding on and letting go.  They, too, have taught me many things over the years.  They have taught me how to love more people, they have taught me how to be content, and they have me how to trust God a little more.  I love them dearly and treasure the joy they have given me over the years.
     I love my grandchildren in words I cannot measure.  It is a beautiful relationship in which I don’t have to worry about the outcome so much.  I just love them with a continual unconditional love.  I have the beauty of playing with them to my hearts content and then taking a nap whenever I need to :)
     In every woman’s life, however, comes the need for rest.  A time to relax and reflect, and
ultimately, a time to worship.  I am nearing the end of Spring Break and it has been wonderful.  I have had time wonderful moments with family but I realized early in the week that I needed to plan a little time for “sanctuary.”  I have found a variety of sanctuaries in my lifetime.  At one time it was on a mountain top in the Rockies.  Another time it was simply a few moments in the restroom all by myself.  In my 30’s it was by a quiet lake.  I told Bill this week that I need another sanctuary in my life and then it hit me, I knew where it was.
     This morning I packed up my Bible, my Bible study, some pens, the book I am writing, my computer, my camera and a little snack and headed to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.  It truly is a sanctuary for me.  You see, 

God is my love
The Bible is my foundation
The church is my nutrition
     My family is my joy
And nature is my sanctuary

     In nature, I feel like I am with God on His turf.  He created everything out here.  Everything is different and has its own beauty.  Stronger plants often support weaker plants.
Bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush get along and actually help each other.  Butterflies flit around and leave a “little something” everywhere they go.  The effect is amazing.  I love the moments there.  I know God is with me wherever I go, but when I am in nature, I feel like it is just God and me...alone.  I have found “sanctuary” at the picnic tables, under the trees, along the trails, and in the quiet benches under the trees.
     In a few more days, I will be back at school with my 15 students.  I know they have exciting things to tell me.  I will probably hear stories about people they saw with disabilities.  I will hear about the amazing things that are happening with their projects for “Wheels for the World.”  It is imperative to have moments with God in whatever sanctuary we have found, but is equally important to get back to real life.  God can be found in both places.

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:13




No comments:

Post a Comment