Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Butterfly Effect - Day 9

     Today the following verse comes to mind,

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen."  Ephesians 3:20, 21


God has certainly done far more than we imagined this week.  The butterfly effect has been so visual for the kids and continues to get bigger and bigger and so does the excitement!  Last night it was decided that there were going to be too many butterflies for the castle wall, so the butterflies migrated to the school hallway.  It gives such a visual for the whole school to feel part of.  As I was hanging up the butterflies a mom stopped me and handed me a check for "Wheels for the World."  I thanked her and her daughter and didn't look at the check until a few minutes later.  She had handed me a check for an additional wheelchair!!  The kids are now up to 7 wheelchairs!!!  What a wonderful gift that young woman gave!  I immediately shared the good news with the kids and they immediately shouted, "Do we get to do the happy dance again?"  Of course we did!
     Today we learned about powerful people that have the challenge of hearing impairment or loss.  First we listened to the music of Beethoven and the incredible composer he was.  He first started writing music when he was 7 years old.  Over the years he gradually lost more and more of his hearing and lived in fear that someone would discover it.  He had no idea the incredible impact he made on music and the world!
     Then we moved to YouTube and watched some clips of Helen Keller.  The children were surprised at how out of control her behavior was and were equally amazed when they watched how she was eventually able to communicate.  She indeed made a huge impact on the world!
     As incredible as the day already was, another woman stopped by my classroom at the end of the day and said that she had a friend that would like to come talk to the class and share her experience of loosing her mobility after a bicycle accident.  It turns out that I met this woman several years ago and she was hoping to speak to my class then but became ill.  Since then I had misplaced her contact information.    No problem, God knows her number and can reconnect us!  I can hardly wait to see her again.  She, too, is an amazing woman because God's power is manifested through her.
     One of my challenges has always been that I get incredibly motion sick.  I cannot ride roller coasters, I can't sit in swings, and have to sit in the front seat of cars.  I have often imagined how exciting a roller coaster must feel to other people.  I have to say though, that I love the rides God takes me on better.  They are exciting, you never know what is around the bend and it is going to be incredibly exhilarating (and no motion sickness!)  Thanks for always bringing me along, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment