Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Butterfly Effect - Day 7

     Excitement was in the air as the kids came in this morning!  Tables and chairs were set up, tablecloths were added, wonderful crafts were added and then the wonderful kids!  Teachers, parents and students could buy fabric creations, banana bread, butterfly magnets, popcorn, lemonade, Easter decorations, bird seed cakes, pet rocks, notepads, paintings or a "Frosty."  I even had parents handing me money as they walked down the hall.  The kids have now raised enough money for...

FOUR WHEELCHAIRS!!!

The kids have been so creative and so dedicated!  They have worked really hard and I am so proud of them!!  The mommas are pretty awesome as well!
     In the midst of all the excitement we also talked about accommodations for the hearing impaired/deaf.  I showed them the inner ear system and asked them what they thought it was.  I had all kinds of interesting answers... the tubes in the ears that babies get, a sea creature, a pretzel.  Then I showed them some hearing aids.  They were amazed at how the hearing aids are getting smaller and smaller and were even more amazed when I told them that disposable hearing aids are available.  We also talked about cochlear implants, closed captioning and how flashing lights can be used in the home to alert someone that the doorbell or telephone is ringing.  We ended our lesson with practicing the alphabet in sign language and the vocabulary we have been learning.  We also watched a great DVD called, "Signing Time." Tomorrow I will share Joni's lesson about "How to be a Friend to Someone With a Hearing Impairment."
     I am so grateful for God giving me a bigger vision this year.  For Andy Andrews book, The Butterfly Effect, that was such an inspiration to me, for the incredibly supportive parents I have, and for the loving and compassionate students I have.  What a wonderful week it has been!

1 comment: