Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Butterfly Effect - Day 3

     Today was priceless!!!  There is nothing better than when the kids share their heart with you.  I always feel tempted to say, "Hold that thought!"  I have started keeping a notepad by my chair so that I can write the wonderful things down that they share with me.
     We started the conversation this morning with "How to Be a Friend to Someone With a Physical Disability" from On a Roll For Jesus, the book "Joni and Friends" has published.  In the book she shares the following:
  • Look past the wheelchair or whatever physical disability the person has.  It is okay to look at the individual.  They are more like you than you realize.
  • When talking to someone in a wheelchair sit down in a chair or place yourself at their eye level.  Their neck can begin to hurt if they have to look up for a long time and they might not want to tell you that.
  • Speak directly to the person in a wheelchair rather than through the person they are with.
  • It is okay to offer your help to someone, but make sure you ask first if the help is needed.  For example, ask permission before you push a wheelchair.  You would not want someone to push you without asking you.
  • You wouldn't lean on someone you don't know very well so it is not polite to lean or hang on someone's wheelchair.  The chair is an extension of their personal space.
  • Treat a person with a disability the way you like to be treated.
I love all of the practical tips that Joni shares with us in her book!  The children and I had a great time as I gave examples of talking to their shoes, rather than them.  They laughed when I talked to the child pushing the wheelchair about the child in the wheelchair.  They laughed at how much I exaggerated it so they could understand but they also "got it."  I sure wish I had known these tips when I was young.
     Following the discussion, one of my students surprised me with how much he wanted to share about the brace that he has been wearing on his back for the last 6 weeks.  He shared about how uncomfortable it has been.  He then shared that he feels sorry for the kids that have to wear one all the time.  He said "I know that I will get mine off, but the others kids won't."  I thanked him for sharing his feelings and for being so brave and patient the last six weeks.
     Our next activity for the morning was to try painting with our teeth the way Joni does.  They did a great job painting with their hands behind their back.  Most of them enjoyed painting but shared how tiring it was.  They were proud of their pictures.  When I showed them some of Joni's paintings, ALL of their mouths dropped.  I so wish I had captured that moment in a picture.  They couldn't believe how incredible her paintings are.  I reminded them again that when we give our weaknesses to God, His power can be shown.
     During our Bible time,  I shared the story the story Joni suggested of Mephibosheth, grandson of King Saul and son of Prince Jonathan.  During a fight he was left unable to walk and had to have his legs bandaged.  Mephibosheth was to someday be king but the people said that he could not be a good king because he was disabled.  He was kicked out of the palace.
     Mephibosheth later married and had a family.  One day he received a message from King David who said to him "Don't be afraid.  I will be kind to you for your father Jonathan's sake.  I will give you back all the land of your grandfather Saul.  And you will always be able to eat at my table."  King David's kindness changed Mephibosheth's life forever because now, other people started to be kind to him.  Mephibosheth had a blessed life of land and servants and friends.
     We concluded our wonderful day with updates on our fundraising projects.  Here are some of the things that were said:
     "I have some customers.  I am going to get a check from a customer!"
     "I raised $2.  I picked up trash."
     "I made notepads and sold them."
     "We're going to sell lemonade with one nail and it is going to cost $100!"

     Join us tomorrow as we learn about amazing people and how their challenges have brought glory and honor to God!

1 comment:

  1. Deana - what a great thing you are teaching your kids! Wish I could a fly on the wall. How fun to see those lightbulbs go off!!

    ReplyDelete