Sunday, March 17, 2013

Back To School Tomorrow...

     I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say I am a little disappointed spring break is over.  I have had so much fun with my grandchildren and my brother.  I have loved getting up when I want to, getting out of my PJ's when I want to, and especially going to bed as late as I want to.  It is always nice to have a little down time!
     Tonight I am excited that I will be heading back to school in a few hours though.  I have been looking through pictures my students have sent me over break and that brings joy to my soul!  They have been working hard crafting, cooking, and selling to raise money for the wheelchairs.  They will be so excited when they bring in their ziplock bags of money tomorrow morning and I will be excited for them.  More than that, I am excited for the children that will be able to get around soon because of their sacrifices.
     Yesterday I was able to step back in time for an hour.  A friend's niece came over to talk about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  My friend knew that I had some things to share with her about Dr. King and the impact he made on my dad, and then me.  I shared with her the changes that have occurred starting with my great-great grandfather who served in the Civil War down to my grandchildren whose first president is black.  I wish more people could put political views aside and appreciate all that it means.  We have come a long way.
     When my dad met Dr. King many years ago, he affected the course of my dad's life to serve in the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.  Then, dad helped set the course of my life as he became involved in the Americans with Disabilities Act and now I serve special needs families.  In terms of change,  my students and grandchildren can go to a park that accommodates children with all kinds of disabilities and you can barely see it, because it is so natural.  Once again, we have come a long way.
     I am so grateful for all of the people that have sacrificed along the way from Abraham Lincoln to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. to Joni Eareckson Tada.  They sacrificed so that things might be different someday and thankfully they are.  Change can happen and each one of us can make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment