Saturday, March 9, 2013

Day 5: Amazing People

     The kids were so excited when a beautiful dog walked through the door of our classroom this morning.  Our special guest was a young woman that has had diabetes since she was a young child.  Three years ago she received a dog that is trained to alert her whenever her blood sugar is too low.  Apparently the dog will start whining and nudging her until she checks her blood sugar.  I asked her if the dog is always right and she shared that she has learned to never doubt her.
     Beth shared that service dogs are used for a variety of situations.  People that have diabetes, seizures, can't walk, or blind are using service dogs.  She shared that they are now training them to detect cancer with their incredible sense of smell.  Beth shared how she gained freedom by having her dog.  She knows that her dog will watch out for her and take care of her.
     After Beth left I told the kids that I wanted to introduce them to another amazing person.  I grabbed my guitar and started gently strumming the guitar while I talked to them.  I shared about a young man that was created with a love for music and had a great deal of talent, but he was born without arms.  He wanted to play the guitar, but how could he?  I am holding the guitar with one hand and strumming it with the other.  I asked them if they thought he was ever able to play.  The children said he would never be able to.  I shared he actually was able to, but how?  Finally, one of the kids faces lit up and she said he must have played it with his feet.  I set the guitar on the ground and tried to strum it with my toes.  I then played one of Tony Melendez's CD's for the kids and they were amazed.  I shared how talented Tony is and how he travels around the world playing beautiful music and telling people about Jesus.   The kids all started clapping for Tony and asked if they could meet him.  I wish I could have Tony visit, but we did enjoy his music!
     Later we watched some clips from Joni and Friends Kid's Corner.  The kids love them so much.  Today they were pleading to watch some more and said they would hurry to get their math and phonics lessons done so we would have time. We watched a clip called, "Invisible Disabilities."  In it a young lady shared about diabetes and how we need to be supportive of friends that have invisible disabilities.We also learned about not being afraid to get close to someone with a disability and to give eye contact.
     Next week the kids and I will be on spring break and they have plans to work on all kinds of projects.  We will have our "market" at school the week after break to raise money.  The kids were all excited to start working on their project and were even getting their siblings involved.  Now, Mrs. Boggess needs to get busy as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment