Friday, March 15, 2013

Highlights of Spring Break

     It has been a wonderful spring break so far.  I haven't accomplished anything on my chore list and maybe that is part of why it has been wonderful :)  On the other hand, I have been able to do so much of what is important to me.  
     I started off the week by going on a road trip with my daughter and granddaughter.  While my daughter was visiting friends, my granddaughter and I visited a very special aunt and uncle and for her, great-great aunt and great-great uncle.  They are both special to me and have been there for me throughout my life, especially when I lost my dad.  
     My uncle continues to inspire me.  He has had physical challenges all of his life, but it never stops him.  It is difficult and painful to walk, but he continues to work hard to provide for his family and never complains.  He continually adjusts his life to make it work.  I admire him and look up to him.
     I came back home to a visit with my brother, Mark.  He is another person in my life that I greatly admire.  All of us have challenges of one kind or another and if I had to say Mark had one at all it would be Mark's sense of time.  He has a slower pace than a lot of us, but it is also a gift that I have seen God powerfully use throughout his life.  Very few people in this world have more time, patience, and compassion than Mark does.  He has served the children living in children's homes by giving the time they needed to know they are important and valued.  He has served the mentally ill for over ten years by encouraging, coaching, educating, and training them to build lives and careers.  He has spent endless hours rebuilding computers to give to those he serves so they can have the tools they need to build lives and careers.  When it comes to the people he loves, Mark has endless hours to serve with a servant's heart and to listen to any trials you may be going through.  I know for me, Mark is like sitting on a deserted island and watching the waves slowly come in and out.  He has a very calming, loving spirit about him and if he was a person that hurried, he probably wouldn't have these qualities.
     On Wednesday, I met my students at the "Play for All" park in Round Rock, Texas.  As a teacher I had hoped to have some time to sit the kids down and point out all of the accommodations there are for children with special needs.  The beautiful thing is that I couldn't.  There were so many people there for spring break and the kids are off running and playing as they should be.  I love that they may not notice the accommodations because they are natural part of the park.  On Monday I will point out the accommodations through photographs.  I am sure they will come up with some different ones than I noticed.
     One of the highlights for the week has been the e-mails and texts I have received about the fundraising projects the kids are pursuing.  They are so excited about the cookies and cupcakes they have sold.  I know we have over  $200 now.  That is exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment