Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 10: WOW!

  Today was the second day of our "Wheels for the World" market.  The kids enthusiasm and excitement is stronger than ever!  It makes me laugh because a couple of the kids kept getting upset with their parents for giving change back to customers.  They told their parents to quit giving the wheelchair money away!!
    One of my students had spent a great deal of time writing and publishing a story to sell.  She was so proud to tell me that she had done it all by herself and I am proud of her momma for letting her do it by herself and cheering her on each step of the way.  I am always blessed by watching my students grow in their understanding of people, disabilities, compassion and sacrifice during this unit and this little girl has grown so much.  A few days ago her mom shared the following with me through e-mail....
     I was so happy that Arden sat in the wheelchair today!  She had been adamant that she would not ride in the wheelchair.  She was very uncomfortable with the idea.  She didn't seem to take issue with the wheelchair, but she told me; "I am NOT riding in it!  My legs work fine!"  This conversation went on for several weeks leading up to today.  Today she told me, "Oh, I was the line leader today and I rode in the wheelchair!"  I asked her, "Oh... how was that?"  "It was really fun!  Mrs. Boggess pushed me really fast!"  I told her I was proud of her for trying something different.  
     It is amazing to see how powerful a tool the wheelchair is.  It keeps down a powerful wall that many adults have.  Children are curious and have so many questions.  If we answer those questions and expose them to a variety of people and situations, they will stay compassionate rather than afraid.  I am proud of sweet Arden as she has been willing to learn and grow through this unit.
     After our market, we had a good friend of mine come visit.  Toni is an interpreter for our church.  She did a beautiful job of connecting with the children and helping them understand people with hearing impairments.  She started off by asking them what they knew about people who cannot hear.  She corrected some of their thinking and then helped them understand children with hearing impairments are much like them.  Toni taught them a variety of signs and told them a familiar children's story through sign.  The kids were very excited as they realized what the story was.  Toni signed a few familiar children's songs and then completed our time by joining in one of our "happy dances" for another wheelchair.  The kids have now raised over $1,000 which equates to over 6 wheelchairs!  God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment